Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Memorizing and Changing an Accent

Memorization and losing an accent in a language go hand in hand.  I studied both of these skills today, because I want to get better at my free recall, and I also want to improve my spanish.  I think that I am capable of improving not only my vocabulary, but also the pronunciation of words in spanish.  I feel especially confident in me being able to improve my memory, despite my brain age being 25.

On my day off due to wind chills below freezing, I took a test online to see how old my brain was and I was 25.  I immediately thought this was an old age, however now that I think about it could be a good thing.  The website said if it is older then your current age, then it is a problem.  However, I am probably younger then most of the ADULTS taking this quiz.  Maybe I am not so bad off after all. Free recall is constant quizzes to help remember the information.  By doing this you can retrieve the information without a cue. Free recall is when you can remember something off the top of your head without a cue.  Cued recall is, you guessed it, like free recall however triggered with a cue.

There are three steps to the information going into your memory.  The information is introduced and that is called information input.  It is then remembered by using several different techniques and this is called retaining information.  Finally, is one of the hardest steps for me which is retrieving the information.  The retrieving of the information could be free or cued recall.

Speed reading is a skill that helps with memory.  Speed reading consists with decrease sub-vocalization, schematic processing, and meta reading.  Sub-vocalization is the process of reading the information out loud, schematic processing is when you associate it with something else really rapidly, and meta reading is when you can scan chunks and find out what is important.

Some good strategies are summarizing information for written exams.  Taking cornel notes which consists of writing questions within the notes you take.  Doing a self explanation and having elaborate interrogation.  Another great tip is to practice test your self.

Some basic tips are reading when your alert and attentive, separate the information for trivial, pause every now and then, take notes, and remember that learning comes from mistakes.

Learning a language is similar to a great memory.  A lot of it is derived from practice, practice, PRACTICE!  It seems like the information of talking to your self, thinking about it, taking notes as you watch something, and some other memory tips also apply to learning a language, or learning any subject really.

No comments:

Post a Comment